When I decided to go India this spring, I knew I needed to get to the Taj Mahal. India’s most iconic mausoleum, inspired by love, has been adored by millions with its beauty. My mom always told me to travel – I did not realize how much I would fall in love with traveling since she has passed. She is always remembered when I travel, meet new people and learn new cultures.
The Taj Mahal is in Agra on a beautiful river basin. I guess I was not sure what to expect when I saw it for the 1st time, but it was magical. I have never experienced a building that literally took my breath away and the grounds that surround the Taj Mahal are perfectly placed to support its beauty. It is so big and majestic, yet it is personal and reflective at the same time. Once you step foot into the grounds you understand why it is one of the manmade wonders of the world.
I thought it would be fun to give you some of the fun facts of the building for you to enjoy:
- Construction began in 1632 and finished in 1653 – it took 22 years to build
- 28 types of precious and semiprecious jewels are set in the marble of the building
- Turquoise from Tibet and Jade from China are used throughout
- All the white marble was transported from Rajasthan
- The Taj is cracking at an alarming rate as it was built on wood structures on the river bed
I would love to have your travel recommendations for the year! What is your dream destination?